Engineering Towers | Elementary School Educator Curriculum
Collect evidence on the aesthetic appeal of tower design.
Put STEAM to the test! Learners create a system to gather data on aesthetics of their design – a test so to speak of aesthetic values from the eyes of 3rd party viewers. Lastly, students find ways to incorporate this data in modifying their tower design from an artistic perspective.
OBJECTIVE: Learners experiment on the importance of art and aesthetics.
- Share the tower design with an audience.
- Ask your viewers questions to gain their thoughts on your tower design.
- Reflect on the data from the viewers and if it meets your desired results.
- How do you feel about your audience’s reaction?
- Did your work express what you hoped it would?
- How do you feel about your tower?
Project 10 Lever Experiment
Explore the concepts of balance and symmetry and how they relate to tower construction.
Project 11 The Language of Form
Experiment with 3D space by exploring the various attributes of aesthetic form.
Project 12 Drawing of Group Design
Reflect on the concept of group design and how it impacts the design process.
Project 14 Team Plan and Task Assignments
Share the wealth by assigning tasks for learners to complete their projects.
Project 15 Building Our Tower
Devise a method of reflecting on the engineering process through the use of journaling.
Project 16 Earthquake Table Test
Devise an experiment to test the structural soundness of their tower design.