Engineering Towers | Elementary School Educator Curriculum
Types of Joints
Use examples of joint types and develop a simple way to recall them.
Learn about tower connections that give rigidity and structure to bare materials. Learners will interact with method of connecting materials to distribute force and create sound structural design.
OBJECTIVE: Learners will identify joints and develop a method to identify them.
- Use samples of the material you selected to experiment in different ways to connect them.
- Look at different joining methods and apply them to your material.
- Report out on the success or limitations of the joints as they apply to your material and how you may use them in your tower design.
- How were you able to improve your technique through practice?
- Why is it important to document your findings as you work?
- What questions do you have about building structures?
Project 10 Lever Experiment
Explore the concepts of balance and symmetry and how they relate to tower construction.
Project 11 The Language of Form
Experiment with 3D space by exploring the various attributes of aesthetic form.
Project 12 Drawing of Group Design
Reflect on the concept of group design and how it impacts the design process.
Project 14 Team Plan and Task Assignments
Share the wealth by assigning tasks for learners to complete their projects.
Project 15 Building Our Tower
Devise a method of reflecting on the engineering process through the use of journaling.
Project 16 Earthquake Table Test
Devise an experiment to test the structural soundness of their tower design.