Engineering Towers | Elementary School Educator Curriculum
Improve group dynamics by assigning roles and responsibilities to learners.
Organization, communication, and task assignment are the proper paths to success. Here students collaborate to share responsibility to work collectively in meeting their design challenge.
OBJECTIVE: Learners take on responsibility by being assigned a role and responsibility.
- For this activity, assign roles to each member of the group.
- Reflect on your individual role, and why you will be good at it.
- Respond in your groups to the questions by completing a Claim, Evidence, Reasoning.
- Make sure to set a desired time for each question and stay true to your respected roles in the group.
- Which tasks are you assigned to?
- What will you be responsible for?
- What are some questions you have about the tasks you are responsible for?
Project 10 Lever Experiment
Explore the concepts of balance and symmetry and how they relate to tower construction.
Project 11 The Language of Form
Experiment with 3D space by exploring the various attributes of aesthetic form.
Project 12 Drawing of Group Design
Reflect on the concept of group design and how it impacts the design process.
Project 14 Team Plan and Task Assignments
Share the wealth by assigning tasks for learners to complete their projects.
Project 15 Building Our Tower
Devise a method of reflecting on the engineering process through the use of journaling.
Project 16 Earthquake Table Test
Devise an experiment to test the structural soundness of their tower design.