Engineering Towers | Elementary School Educator Curriculum
Mediums of Sculpture
Ideate a plan if you were to make a sculpture.
Combine art with material selection as learners use methods and techniques to sculpt various materials with differing properties. These lessons will give students the opportunity to work hands on with different mediums to express their creativity.
OBJECTIVE: Learners will familiarize themselves with various mediums for sculpting.
- Discuss various mediums of sculpting and their properties.
- Look at various medium examples and compare and contrast them through identifying strengths and weaknesses of each.
- Select a material and provide reasoning on why you would use that medium for sculpting.
- If you were to build your sculpture out of any material, what would it be and why?
- What kinds of materials do you use in your everyday life?
- How do you use them?
- What do you know about these materials?
Project 10 Lever Experiment
Explore the concepts of balance and symmetry and how they relate to tower construction.
Project 11 The Language of Form
Experiment with 3D space by exploring the various attributes of aesthetic form.
Project 12 Drawing of Group Design
Reflect on the concept of group design and how it impacts the design process.
Project 14 Team Plan and Task Assignments
Share the wealth by assigning tasks for learners to complete their projects.
Project 15 Building Our Tower
Devise a method of reflecting on the engineering process through the use of journaling.
Project 16 Earthquake Table Test
Devise an experiment to test the structural soundness of their tower design.