Engineering Towers | Elementary School Educator Curriculum
Reflect and articulate the engineering design process.
Present the tower design, and the design process and challenges that the team underwent during the tower project.
OBJECTIVE: Learners will share their engineering design process.
- Create a presentation to share your tower design and the process to make the final tower.
- Use your Engineering Log to help you in preparing your presentation.
- Questions and rubric are meant to help support you in preparing your design presentation.
- How did you work together to create this work/tower?
- What were some obstacles?
- What did you learn about building with materials?
- What did you learn about working as a team? When and how did you learn this?
You and your team will create a group presentation to accompany your work that will talk about HOW you worked together to create your final work, what you learned throughout this process, and how you have changed as a result.
Content of Presentation
The presentation addresses the following questions:
What did your group learn about matter and materials?
What did your group learn about building?
What did your group hope to express with this work?
What went well?
What was challenging?
What did you realize during this process?
What did you learn about yourself in creating this work?
What questions do you have now?
What has this inspired you to do?
Each member presents
Good voice projection
Not reading off of cards or paper (but can be used as a reminder)
Each segment is connected in some way
Able to answer questions from the audience
Project 10 Lever Experiment
Explore the concepts of balance and symmetry and how they relate to tower construction.
Project 11 The Language of Form
Experiment with 3D space by exploring the various attributes of aesthetic form.
Project 12 Drawing of Group Design
Reflect on the concept of group design and how it impacts the design process.
Project 14 Team Plan and Task Assignments
Share the wealth by assigning tasks for learners to complete their projects.
Project 15 Building Our Tower
Devise a method of reflecting on the engineering process through the use of journaling.
Project 16 Earthquake Table Test
Devise an experiment to test the structural soundness of their tower design.