Engineering Towers | Elementary School Educator Curriculum
Using experience to inform design, explore modifications and learned experiences in building towers.
Reflect on the process and lessons completed to get to the end. How are each component related and how do they form a cohesive, reproducible approach? Learners will take away a strong appreciation of STEAM.
OBJECTIVE: Learners will complete brainstorming on the design process and iterations of their designs.
- Use the handouts to guide a reflection on how the project has aided your understanding.
- Reflect on materials, art, science, engineering and how they inform one another.
- How does our understanding of the materials we have to work with help us design better solutions?
- What are you still curious about?
- What questions about matter and building with matter do you have now?
Project 10 Lever Experiment
Explore the concepts of balance and symmetry and how they relate to tower construction.
Project 11 The Language of Form
Experiment with 3D space by exploring the various attributes of aesthetic form.
Project 12 Drawing of Group Design
Reflect on the concept of group design and how it impacts the design process.
Project 14 Team Plan and Task Assignments
Share the wealth by assigning tasks for learners to complete their projects.
Project 15 Building Our Tower
Devise a method of reflecting on the engineering process through the use of journaling.
Project 16 Earthquake Table Test
Devise an experiment to test the structural soundness of their tower design.