Brick Playbook: Parent Edition
Plot data sets in coordinate planes
Child will be able to graph points on a coordinate plane based on the data they collect.
How can graphs help us see change using two different measurements?
Pencil and paper
16×16 plate, 1×1 bricks, 1xn plates
- Begin by asking child about the weather today.
- Is it warm or cool? Has there been any rain? What about yesterday and the day before? Do they know what it’s supposed to be like tomorrow or later this week?
- Ask child if the weather has been moving in a certain direction: Has it been getting progressively warmer or cooler, or has it been different every day?
- Explain that it can be helpful to visually represent data to see the changes in relation to each other.
- Sketch a first quadrant on the board, then ask child to look up the weather and plot the temperatures with date as the x-axis and temperature as the y-axis.
- Ask child what else could be measured this way.
- Child gathers their data, then creates a first-quadrant graph and plots their data using 1×1 bricks. Child should be sure to label their axes and the chart.
- Have child share what they have plotted and if they can make any inferences from this data.
Project 1 Build a Bar Chart
The world around is plentiful. Let's quantify it by building bar graphs.
Project 2 Bricks Measure Up
Design and create rulers to develop an understanding of the basic principles of measurement.
Project 4 Define Your Perimeters
Develop floor plans of your home or school and develop methods to measure perimeter.
Project 7 Bricks… They’re Multiplyin’
Explore the basics of multiplication and the communiative property with bricks.
Project 15 Not Just One Direction
Explore the properties of subtraction and how they differ from addition.
Project 24 Unidentified Objects
Make observations about materials and their properties that make them unique.
Project 32 Building Out Of The Box
Bricks are used to quantify and solve equations and inequalities.
Project 35 Hold The (Number) Line
Explore the directionality of numbers represented by positives and negatives.