Brick Playbook: Parent Edition
Bricks By Design
Engineer a desk caddy to organize school supplies.
Child will be able to explore engineering by designing and building a desk caddy out of bricks.
How do you determine what features are necessary for a functional design?
Supplementary materials for extending the project, if desired
Plates, 1xn bricks, tiles
- Ask what strategies child uses to keep their dresser organized. Have they noticed how the adults in their lives keep their dressers (or similar places) organized? Encourage child to think about using a caddy for that purpose.
- Ask child what kinds of objects go in a caddy and make a list.
- As the list is made, ask about attributes of the different objects (tall, short, wide, narrow).
- Ask child to make their own list of what they need to organize, which may not include everything on the list.
- Ask child to consider the attributes of their own lists.
- Have child plan their own caddies. They may want to begin with a rough sketch, or to outline with bricks on a plate, creating 2 or 3 different compartments. Child should be encouraged to try fitting the objects in before they get too far (for example, is the caddy the right size for an eraser? How tall does it need to be to keep pencils from falling out?)
- Child then writes a paragraph explaining the features of their caddy and why they included them.
Project 1 Build a Bar Chart
The world around is plentiful. Let's quantify it by building bar graphs.
Project 2 Bricks Measure Up
Design and create rulers to develop an understanding of the basic principles of measurement.
Project 4 Define Your Perimeters
Develop floor plans of your home or school and develop methods to measure perimeter.
Project 7 Bricks… They’re Multiplyin’
Explore the basics of multiplication and the communiative property with bricks.
Project 15 Not Just One Direction
Explore the properties of subtraction and how they differ from addition.
Project 24 Unidentified Objects
Make observations about materials and their properties that make them unique.
Project 32 Building Out Of The Box
Bricks are used to quantify and solve equations and inequalities.
Project 35 Hold The (Number) Line
Explore the directionality of numbers represented by positives and negatives.