Human Rights and the Struggle for Social Justice
Before viewing the photos and engaging in the activities, students should:
- Understand that people have been displaced from their homelands and communities since the beginning of history.
- Be aware of the basic geography and major wars and conflicts of the twentieth and twenty-first centuries.
- Know that wars and conflicts caused borders to change, that geopolitical forces shaped nations, and that people were displaced as a result.
- Forced displacement and refugees
- Social justice and the rights and needs of refugees
- The United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees