You can use the workshop to provide professional development activities for teachers in a variety of settings:
- In reading methodology courses
- For teachers broadening their range of instructional practices
- For individual teacher study of a specific topic or grade level
- In a district or school workshop
- In professional development mentoring programs
The following facilitator tips can enhance the professional development experience:
- Review the Web or print guide, and preview the video prior to running a study group or workshop.
- Print and duplicate charts, posters, and templates ahead of time.
- Have participants complete the Session Preparation prior to meeting.
- Identify participants' skill levels and build from there.
- Use sections that meet your needs and those of your participants.
- Begin with the suggested questions and continue with other questions that interest you and your colleagues.
- Allow enough time to wait for participants' responses.
- Encourage debate and discussion to help trigger and focus controversial issues.
- Promote reflection as a means to improving teaching.
- Organize participants into different groups for different activities to give everyone a chance to work with everyone else.
- Conclude by reviewing strategies and action items participants can use in their teaching practice.
Next > Copyright