In this section, you will relate Dr. Paratore's lecture and your reading to teaching practices in classroom excerpts.
Now you will observe comprehension instruction in four classrooms -- one kindergarten, two first-grades, and one first- and second-grade combination. In these classroom excerpts, you will see teachers working with both the whole class and small groups to foster comprehension and response in fiction and nonfiction texts.
After viewing the classroom excerpts, consider these questions:
- What reading strategies did the teachers emphasize in their instruction?
- How did the students demonstrate use of these strategies during the lessons?
- In what ways was the instruction explicit? Strategic? Which lessons clearly reflected explicit instruction? Which strategic?
- How did the lessons promote both comprehension and personal response?
- What lessons have you used to teach similar strategies?
- Would you have done anything differently in teaching any of these lessons?