Add Literacy Routines
In this activity, you will add literacy routines to use with your current materials, print displays, and literacy centers.
- Review the sketch you drew of your classroom and the Classroom Community Chart. Identify a part of your classroom environment you wish to use with another routine.
- Plan the additional routine for children to use during group or independent literacy time. Recall the four principles for creating an effective literate community to plan your changes.
- Repeat the steps with another part of your classroom environment. Add these new routines to the Classroom Community Chart.
When planning a new routine, consider:
- How is the environment accessible to all children?
- How do the new routines promote reading and writing?
- How do the literacy routines address the needs of all of your students?
- How will you teach your students to use the new routines?
Use these directions to help develop your new routines:
- Develop reading and writing activities for group or independent work. How are these activities multi-level? How will children work together? What is your role in these activities? What is the child's role?
- Plan lessons to introduce the students to the new routine.
- Incorporate the new routines into your daily schedule.
© Annenberg Foundation 2014. All rights reserved. Legal Policy