In preparation for this project, four teachers came together in Baltimore to talk about writing. All of the teachers are currently working with high school writers in classrooms around the country. They include:
During their stay, renowned Latina author Judith Ortiz Cofer stopped by to conduct a writing workshop. She led the group through eight exercises. Along the way, she shared many thoughts from her perspective as a writer and a teacher of writing.
Through this interactive, you will have a chance to participate virtually in the workshop.
We hope you will use this space just as the teachers in this workshop did-as an inspiration to write and think about writing.
There are no rules on what you chose to write in this space. You can jot down a few ideas on the topic or list important words in your life. Or you can start your first novel. It's all up to you.
- The individual activities the writers completed were themed to relate to the topic of each workshop.
- If you join this interactive,
we will reserve a writing space for you on our site. Your work will be available
for one semester.
- After you have submitted your request to register, you will receive an email confirmation with the password you have chosen.
- When you log in using your password, you can choose to work on pieces you have already written or start a new piece. All your work is password-protected, so that only you can access these files.
- You can retrieve the files and work on them from any computer.
- If you would prefer to work without registering, you can do that as well. Your work will not be saved on this site. Once you exit the workshop, it will be erased.