I had my students write bio poems that were 9 lines long, mostly one or two word answers to prompts. Then I asked them to turn it into a paragraph. We aimed for complete sentences, capitals, punctuation. We also tried to vary the length of the sentence and vary the beginning word.
This seemed to go pretty well. Even some of my hesitant writers were able to transform the poem into a paragraph. Maybe it was because they already had a foundation of words to use. One of my students wrote more than I had seen him write before. That is always a plus to me.
We then checked the paragraphs with a checklist rubric. I hope to do more of this.
Teacher-talkhswriters mailing list
Received on Fri Mar 18 2011 - 17:37:18 EDT