Watching the Program (60 minutes)
Error - unable to load content - Flash
The information sheets below provide helpful background on the classrooms, programs, and schools featured in each segment:
Segment 1: Dance (PDF)
Segment 2: Visual Art (PDF)
Segment 3: Theatre (PDF)
Segment 4: Music (PDF)
Consider the following questions as you watch the program. You may stop the video after each segment to discuss the questions with your colleagues.
DANCE Mary Harding and Jennifer Rice Brandt Improvising from Poetry and Sign Language
- How and why is the subject of communication incorporated into this project?
- How do you help your students find creative ideas from unexpected sources?
VISUAL ART Jan Wilson Commercial Design Class
- How does Jan provide opportunity for students to practice their communication skills throughout this project?
- How do you enable students to communicate their own ideas through their artwork?
THEATRE John Fredricksen Directing Fables
- What communication challenges do John’s students face in this project, and how does he prepare them to meet those challenges?
- How do you encourage interaction and collaboration among your students?
MUSIC Janice Hunton Descriptive Praise
- Discuss your reaction to the “Descriptive Praise” technique Janice uses with her students. What drawbacks are there, if any, to this method of teaching communication skills?
- How do you encourage positive, constructive communication among your students?
NEXT: Activities and Discussion