Activities and Discussion
Analyzing the Effect of the Arts (25 minutes)
Facilitator: Divide participants into three groups, one for each
Learner Team school. Distribute to each participant in a group the profile
for that groups school: Ridgeway
Elementary School (PDF), Drew
Model School (PDF), or Kingsbury
Elementary School (PDF).
In your group, examine the profile of your designated Learner Team school.
Think about the role of the arts in that school before the summer workshop
and what changes occurred after the workshop. Identify similarities with
your own school and discuss how some of the strategies employed by Learner
Team members might help broaden the role of the arts in your school. Consider
- What parallels do you see between the Learner Team school and your
- How would you build on what the Learner Team did?
Exploring the Role of the Arts in Your School (20
Facilitator: Lead a discussion on the role of the arts in your
Divide into small groups and discuss these questions:
- How do knowledge about the arts and hands-on making of art interact
to enhance student understandings?
- How can your planning and instruction focus more on the why
and how of the arts, rather than the what?
- What are some challenges to broadening the use of the arts in your
- How can the role of arts specialists be expanded or changed to enable
increased professional collaboration?
- How might you collaborate with your colleagues to evaluate and reflect
on your own teaching practice?
- How would such collaborative professional reflection benefit student
Share your findings with the group or keep a journal of your own ideas.
Reflection (5 minutes)
Facilitator: Use the following questions to focus a closing discussion:
- Before viewing The Arts in Every Classroom programs and participating
in this workshop series, what did you think about arts education?
- What do you think about arts education now?
To download PDF files, you will need a free copy of Acrobat