Activities and Discussion
Costume Design (30 minutes)
Using available materials, design and construct a simple costume item,
such as a hat or a scarf, that an actor might use to portray a wild
thing. The costume should support the way the character would move
and should communicate the following things about the character:
- personality traits
- historical period
- social status
Reflect on the symbolic or literal nature of costume elements.
Share costume pieces or pictures of costumes with the entire group using
the following focus questions:
- What are the similarities and differences among these pieces?
- Why might these similarities and differences exist?
- How have symbols been used to express character traits?
- What effect might particular materials, color choices, or construction
techniques have on the designs and the way the characters can move?
Reflection (10 minutes)
Facilitator: Use these questions to focus a closing discussion:
- Why is an understanding of history informative in the creation and
analysis of works of art?
- What opportunities do you have in your daily classroom routine to
address important historical connections to learning?
To download PDF files, you will need a free copy of Acrobat