The following information will help you focus and organize your professional
- Investigate Parade and Quidam through individual and
group research in order to understand the social and historical settings
in which these works were conceptualized and produced.
- Recognize melodic themes and nonmusical sounds in Parade and
Quidam and discuss their significance within the dramatic context
of each piece.
- Perform a piece of music using body percussion and percussion instruments.
- Explore the theatrical traditions of vaudeville and create a performance
piece in the style of vaudeville.
- Understand the purpose of criticism and a process for performance
- Analyze written criticism to identify the purpose and the authors
process. Respond to Quidam in-role as a critic.
These are questions for your group to consider as you work through the
- What does multi-arts mean?
- What is criticism?
Materials and Resources
Recall the sequence from Quidam you viewed at the end of Program
1 (or the entire performance, if you were able to view it later).
Discuss these questions:
- In what time and place does the action appear to occur?
- How do these cultural clues affect your experience of the performance?
Facilitator: Distribute the handout, Jean
Cocteau's Scenario for Parade (PDF).
To download PDF files, you will need a free copy of Acrobat
© Annenberg Foundation 2016. All rights reserved. Legal Policy