Activities and Discussion
Writing Criticism (30 minutes)
Facilitator: Distribute and discuss the Criticism:
Purposes and Process (PDF) handout.
View (or recall) the three-minute opening sequence of Quidam,
with the purpose of writing a critique of this segment.
Divide into three groups for these activities:
- Group 1 will write a description of the opening sequence without interpretation
- Group 2 will write an analysis of how artistic elements were employed
and to what effect.
- Group 3 will write an evaluation of the opening sequence with supporting
evidence for group members opinions.
Share the findings with all participants. Discuss points of disagreement
and consider why people have different opinions.
Reflection (10 minutes)
Use the following questions to focus a closing discussion:
- Identify the progression of Blooms Taxonomy: knowledge, comprehension,
application, analysis, synthesis, evaluation. In what ways are students
challenged to synthesize and evaluate through the four lessons you saw?
- How has your understanding of multi-arts and criticism
- In what ways will an expanded understanding of the criticism process
lead your students to higher levels of thinking?
- How do you envision collaboration with your colleagues as you begin
to think about integrating the arts into your curriculum?
To download PDF files, you will need a free copy of Acrobat
© Annenberg Foundation 2014. All rights reserved. Legal Policy