Analyze the Video
As you reflect on these questions, write down your responses or discuss them as a group.
Before You Watch
Use the following questions to discuss or reflect on your current assessment practices.
Watch the Video
- How do you presently assess students' skills in these areas: interpersonal communication, interpretive communication, presentational communication, and cultural knowledge?
- What guidelines does your school or district provide for assessing students in foreign languages?
- How do you design assessments so that you are testing what you've taught?
Watch this video in its entirety, or pause for discussion or reflection after each case study. Take notes on each teacher's assessment strategies, particularly how she provides students with feedback and what her assessments reveal about student performance.
Error - unable to load content - Flash
Reflect on the Video
Review your notes, and then respond to the following questions:
- What kinds of information do these case studies give regarding student performance? Regarding instructional strategies?
- How would you describe the role of rubrics and feedback in the featured assessment strategies?
- In the first and second case studies, what is the impact of assessing over a period of several days or weeks rather than over a single class period?
If time allows, take a closer look at the individual case studies. Use the video images below to locate where to begin viewing.
Next > Put Into Practice