Before You Watch
Respond to the following questions:
- What are some of the natural links that occur to you between social studies and other subject areas?
- What are some of the challenges and benefits of teaching about holidays and celebrations?
- What do you need to consider when asking young students to work in groups?
Watch the Video
As you watch "Celebrations of Light," take notes on Ms. Mesmer's instructional strategies, in particular how she focuses on what the different holidays have in common. Write down what you find interesting, surprising, or especially important about the teaching and learning in this lesson.
Reflecting on the Video
Review your notes, then respond to the following questions:
- What struck you about the classroom climate, background, preparation, strategies, and materials used in this lesson?
- What are the major themes of Ms. Mesmer's lesson?
- How does Ms. Mesmer work with young students to help them understand the connection between social studies and other subject areas?
- How do the learning centers in the classroom support or enhance the lesson?
- How is this class different from yours? What traditions are relevant to your students or community? What are some traditions that might be unfamiliar to your students?
Let's take a second look at Ms. Mesmer's class to focus on specific teaching strategies. Use the video images below to locate where to begin viewing.