Before You Watch
Respond to the following questions:
- What are the best ways you've found to make history come alive for your students?
- What are the benefits and challenges of using role playing or re-enactments to teach history?
- How do you approach controversial issues with your students?
Watch the Video
As you watch "The Amistad Case," take notes on Mr. Fisher's instructional strategies, particularly how he deals with the content of the case. Write down what you find interesting, surprising, or especially important about the teaching and learning in this lesson.
Reflecting on the Video
Review your notes, then respond to the following questions:
- What struck you about the classroom climate, background, preparation, strategies, and materials used in this lesson?
- How does the Amistad case contribute to the high level of student interest and engagement in this lesson?
Let's take a second look at Mr. Fisher's class to focus on specific teaching strategies. Use the video images below to locate where to begin viewing.