Reflecting on Your Viewing Experience
Review your notes on Thalia's progress throughout the year. Consider the following questions for discussion:
- In what ways does Thalia develop as a reader and a writer over the year? What would you tell Thalia's first-grade teacher about her abilities at the end of kindergarten?
- What classroom practices and home experiences contributed to her progress in literacy? What goals does Mr. St. Clair set for Thalia during the year? How does he support Thalia in her reading and writing? How did his instruction influence her ability to focus on "the details"?
- What other classroom practices would you plan for her? What questions do you still have about Thalia's knowledge and use of reading and writing?
- How does the instruction Thalia receives in Spanish support her language and literacy development in English, and vice versa?
- How has this video influenced your teaching practices? What segments affirmed what you already knew and had been doing? What will you do differently as a result of watching this video?