program explores two contrasting approaches to teaching music. Both schools
consider their programs successful in meeting their objectives:
- At Harmony Leland Elementary School, Barrett Jacksons program
stresses results such as respect for the instrument, self-esteem, hand-eye
coordination, and personal responsibility rather than performance-based
- At Smith Renaissance School of the Arts, Sylvia Bookhardt applies
both performance and knowledge standards to her students work.
Students carefully rehearse advanced performance skills such as presentation
As you watch, consider which of the featured teaching approaches would
more effectively help you meet learning objectives in your classroom:
- How would you incorporate each approach into collaborations with
classroom teachers or integrated curriculum units?
At Smith Renaissance School of the Arts, classroom teachers and arts
specialists collaborate to develop schoolwide themes. Consider how such
a themed curriculum unit would work at your school:
- How would you begin the planning process?
- How could you use music to advance effective instructional strategies
such as inquiry-based teaching and learning?
© Annenberg Foundation 2014. All rights reserved. Legal Policy