Integrating Visual Art and Literacy
Mary Perkerson's strategies include:
- Reading books on arts topics during the schools daily Drop
Everything and Read (DEAR) time and at the end of the school day.
- Writing book reports, doing research, and writing poetry and stories
about visual art and artists.
- Writing a story about Martin Luther King, Jr, and then making a
drawing to go with it.
- Designing a literacy mural for teachers to paint in the school
- Working with classroom teachers on visual art projects to integrate
with other subjects for the schools weekly Art Hour.