Back to Lesson
What kinds of things do you wonder about soil temperatures?
Here are some of the questions Journey North students have come up with:
- What do you think the temperature is underground where our bulbs are?
- Is the soil temperature the same as the air temperature?
- Will the underground temperature change during a 24-hour period?
- Is it cold deeper in the ground?
- As you dig deeper does it get warmer?
- Why does the soil still feel so cold?
- What factors affect soil temperatures?
- Does sunshine change the soil temperature underground?
- Do soil temperatures affect how fast tulips grow?
- How hot or cold is it a mile down? In the center of the earth?
- Are soil temperatures the same in different microclimates?
- Are soil temperatures of bare ground and insulated ground different? Does the amount of insulation matter?
- In the winter is the ground warmer than the air?
- How does a pile of snow affect the soil temperature under it?
- Is wet soil colder than dry soil?
- Do plants change the temperature of the soil?
- How warm does the soil have to be for tulips to grow?
Copyright 1997-2015 Journey North (www.learner.org/jnorth). All Rights Reserved. Search