Neighborhood Watch: How Redwings Protect
Advantages to Redwings chasing crows:
- This may keep crows from noticing nests.
- One redwing can help protect the nests of dozens of other redwings.
- Even after crows have noticed the nests, the size and strength of
a redwing can drive a crow away.
- Sometimes if a redwing isn't careful, it can get hurt by bonking
into the crow or being attacked.
- During the time the redwing is chasing the crow, it can't be feeding
or finding food for its babies.
- Other dangerous nest predators, like snakes and cats, might sneak
in while the redwing is off chasing crows.