- What information does this graph show?
- How much lipid mass (fat reserve) does the average monarch have in each month of the year?
- During what month are lipid reserves the highest? the lowest?
- During which months are monarchs building lipid reserves?
- During which months are monarchs using up their lipid reserves?
- At what level are lipid reserves when monarch butterflies arrive in Mexico? When they depart?
- How do fat reserves change during the months the monarchs are in Mexico?
- How would you describe how lipid levels change from November to April?
- If your weight were to fall at the same rate between November and April, how much would you weigh today?
- At the rate the average monarch expends lipids during the overwintering season, when do you predict monarchs would run out of fuel?
- A monarch tag weighs 10 milligrams (mg). How many times that weight does the average monarch lose by the end of the overwintering season?
- Monarch butterflies arrive in Mexico in November and stay until March. How do you think they can survive all winter with little or no food at all?