A Look at Wind and Monarch Migration
How we solved the problem:
1. We added pieces of paper to our postage scale until it reached 1 ounce. (We did not trust that our scale was sensitive enough to weigh less than one ounce.)
2. When the scale reached an ounce, we counted the number of pages and found that:
3. We found how to convert ounces to grams:
4. We calculated the number of grams in one page:
5. We converted grams to milligrams
6. We divided weight of the page by weight of a butterfly
A. Cut a piece of paper into 11 pieces so you can feel the weight of a butterfly. Fold one of the 11 scraps of paper into the shape of a butterfly. Then blow like the wind so you can see its power.
B. Find the weights (in milligrams) of other familiar things and compare them to the weight of a monarch butterfly.