|How Far? Measure the Distance With Google Maps!|
An exciting new feature has been added to Google Maps. The "Distance Tool" lets you measure the distance between two points.
Here's how you can measure the distance!
1) Go to Google Maps and find the monarch's winter home in Mexico.
2) Make your screen large enough so the map shows the monarch's winter home in Mexico AND your home state/province at the same time.
3) At far left of screen, find "My Maps" and select with your mouse. (See screen shot.)
4) At far left, now see list of "Featured Content"
5) See "Distance Measurement Tool" 7th on the list
6) Select "Distance Measurement Tool" by clicking with your mouse
7) Now put your mouse on your home state/province and click. A green marker will appear. This is the beginning of your measurement.
8) Now put your mouse a little to the left of Mexico City and click. A red marker will appear.
9) Look to the left of your screen again and you'll see the total distance!
* Monarchs do not fly across the Gulf of Mexico. So, if you cannot draw a straight line to Mexico without crossing the Gulf of Mexico, simply travel with your mouse down the map and click as you go. You'll make markers along the way and the distance will be totaled.
* It takes a little practice, so try it a few times before you work with your class.