Where Would You Rather Dip Your Flippers?
Lets get a feel for the water temperatures the Manatees encounter at Blue Spring
State Park both in the Run and in the adjoining St. John's River.
- 2 Bowls (deep enough to put you hand up in water to your wrist)
- A sink with hot and cold running water
- Thermometers to measure the water temperature
- Towels (you're going to get wet!)
- Divide into two groups--the "RUN" group and the "RIVER"
- The RUN group should get one bowl and label it the "RUN" bowl. The
RIVER group should get the other bowl and label it the "RIVER" bowl. Having
both bowls ready, will let the two groups work simultaeously to prepare their bowls
- The RUN group should fill their Bowl about 1/2 full with a mixture
of hot and cold tap water and keep checking the Thermometer and adjusting the hot
and cold water so that the temperature of the water in the bowl is about 22.5 C/
- The RIVER group should fill their Bowl with cold tap water, and add ice
(if necessary) to make its temperature about 11.7 C/ 53 F.
- Now put the bowls side by side on a counter and let all students put one hand
in each bowl at the same time for a few seconds to compare what each temperature
If you were a Manatee, which would you prefer to swim in?
Copyright 2002 Journey North. All Rights Reserved.
Please send all questions, comments, and suggestions to our feedback form