Hummer Q & A
1) Do you have any childhood memory that was important in guiding you into your occupation? How did you become interested in this Field?
I've been interested in birds for as long as I can remember. My family always had pet budgies and fed the wild birds. I got hooked on hummingbirds on a backpacking trip in Colorado, where we had dozens of birds coming to home-made feeders in our campsite.
2) Was there any person, role model or leading authority that greatly influenced you? (e.g., a parent, 6th grade teacher, scientist)
No. I developed my interest in science and natural history mostly through reading.
3) What is your background?
I'm a graphic designer. I create websites for a living. Birding is a hobby. When I decided to make a hummingbird website, I read all the books the library had about them, and emailed all the professional ornithologists whose email addresses I could find. I'm not really a hummingbird expert (although I play one on TV). <- a little Simpsons humor :-)
4) Do have have a favorite work story or experience: (One of your most exciting, memorable, or exhilarating experiences in the Field!)
On one camping trip, I was sitting in the car, reading, since it was raining outside. I was bored, so I made a hummer feeder out of a Coke can and hung it from the sunvisor. I rolled down the window, and several hummingbirds flew in to feed. I held my finger up to the can, and two birds perched on it to use the feeder! (In this photo, I'm showing a banded hummer to some kids)
Use your libraries, both the one in your neighborhood and the one at school. Read everything you can find.
6) Who are your family members, including pets?
I am married, no children. Our "pets" are the wild critters in our back yard: birds, squirrels, rabbits, chipmunks, and snakes. Sometimes we also see deer and coyotes, but they are just passing through.
7) What are your favorite book(s), food(s), or hobbies?
Favorite books: anything about hummingbirds. Favorite food: chocolate, of course!
Hobbies: camping, scuba diving, windsurfing, classical music, driving my Miata with the top down.