Sad News, and One More Day to Wait
Just as every other day, all three ultralights were airborne at sunrise from the Gilchrist County site. The pilots had today's weather reports, but they always check it out for themselves; conditions on the ground seldom match conditions aloft. Sure enough, winds "upstairs" were unstable and from the wrong direction. Flying today would be risky. But the air is cooler. The humidity is lower. The weather is changing and conditions tomorrow sound near perfect.
Another reason they didn't fly today was the condition of crane #406, who became ill yesterday and worsened during the night. This brave and loyal bird was taken to get veterinary care in Gainesville, but did not survive the day. She was always dependable and cooperative, and one of the few females in this year's cohort.
If tomorrow's weather arrives as forecast, north winds would give a good boost to the flyers. They would be able to cover the rest of the 68 miles in one flight. Everything is ready. We are optimistic that the migration will end tomorrow! We hope the folks who have come each morning to the Crystal River Shopping Mall will finally be rewarded with a flyover.
Try This! Journaling Questions
Copyright 2004 Journey North. All Rights Reserved.