October 16, 2001
Gusty winds again today delayed the cranes and ultralights from starting their migration. The wind is coming out
of the NW, which would provide a nice tailwind, but the air is simply too choppy to fly. The pilots did a quick
test-flight just to be sure. Once they reached 400-500 ft. altitude, it became clear that the birds would have
a rough flight--not something they would enjoy on the first leg of the journey south! Departure is set for tomorrow,
Meanwhile, everyone waits. Among other things, they wonder how #4 will
perform. When the birds flew 27 minutes
on October 12, #4 did not care to join his flockmates. The crew has
learned that whooping cranes don't always follow
the rules. Pilot Joe Duff wrote in the October 14
log, "The excitement of covering new ground should keep them attentive
but that thing about whooping cranes
and rules has us worried. We have assembled a group of dedicated
volunteers, biologists, behaviourists, and pilots.
Combined, we represent the world's leading experts in crane ecology
and we take consolation in the fact that if
we canít accomplish this, it can't be done. Funny how that thought
doesn't help much."
Hear Deke talk about the weather and migration.
( .wav file, 475K/ .aif file,475K/.wma file, 840K)
Try This! Journaling Question
- The winds today were 10 to 15 knots from the NW. How many miles per hour is the wind blowing? (Knots X 1.1508
Journey North is pleased to feature this educational adventure made possible by the Whooping Crane Eastern Partnership.
Copyright 2001 Journey North. All Rights Reserved.
Please send all questions, comments, and suggestions to our feedback form