Oriole Migration Update: May 6, 1999
Don't blink or you'll miss it! In contrast to some other species, oriole migration occurs in only a matter of days. Look how quickly they moved:
While you map their migration, think about this:
Look for clues:
Weather and Migration
What weather systems might have swept the orioles northward so quickly? See what you can discover:
1. First play with the data for awhile. You might count the number of sightings per day, then make a graph so you can see the peak migration dates. And/or, look at the map on the WWW, then back at the data. Are there certain regions where, in a single day, many orioles appeared?
2. Now look at the weather maps for the 3-4 days leading up to the arrival:
According to Journey North data:
How to Respond to Today's Challenge Question
1. Address an e-mail message to: firstname.lastname@example.org
2. In the Subject Line of your message write: Challenge Question #6
3. In the body of your message, answer the question above.
The FINAL Oriole Migration Update Will be Posted on May 20, 1999.