Symbolic Monarch Migration Update: November 4, 1997
Last evening at exactly 4:59 pm, the final leg of the Symbolic Migration began. Once again this year, our friendly
UPS driver Steve Tersteeg arrived at the staging grounds in Minneapolis and loaded them onto his truck. Before
leaving, he gave us their special tracking number so you can follow the migration live all the way to Mexico. Where
are the butterflies right now? Visit the UPS WWW site and find out!
- The Butterflies' tracking number is: 49878575713
- Link to the UPS WWW site
"How Much Longer Until We Get There?"
This question is familiar to anyone who has taken a long trip. As the butterfly flies, it's over 2,000 miles
from Minneapolis to Mexico City. How would you answer this question?
Challenge Question #2:
"Exactly how many days, hours and minutes do you think it will take the butterflies to reach the front door
of the Museo del Nino in Mexico City?"
The butterflies are traveling via UPS' "Expedited" service. Here is the path they will take:
- From the Journey North Office Minneapolis, the butterflies will be TRUCKED to Louisville, KY
- From Louisville, they will FLY to Dallas
- From Dallas they will FLY to Mexico
- Upon arrival in Mexico City, they will go through Customs.
- Finally they will be TRUCKED to the Museo del Nino in Mexico City.
- As you figure your answer, this information about the workday in Mexico might be helpful: People generally
come to work at 9 am, they take a midday comida from 12 until 2, and return to work until about 7pm.
To RESPOND to this Challenge Question, please follow the instructions at the end of this report.
Thanks For the Lift
We encourage you to thank UPS for the free ride to Mexico. Letters should be addressed and sent to:
Mr. Jim Meyer
United Parcel Service
3312 Broadway Street N.E.
Minneapolis, MN 55413
Symbolic Migration Passenger List
All aboard for Mexico! A diverse, international population of butterflies is now en route to Mexico. Monarchs from
1,864 classrooms, 4 countries, 50 U.S. States and 4 Canadian Provinces are included. (We'll tell you the exact
number of butterflies in our next report.) Here is the list of passengers. Please check the list and look for your
PLEASE DON'T PANIC
If you sent butterflies to Mexico and you do not find your name is not on the list, please don't be alarmed. Simply
contact Journey North and let us know:
- Send E-mail to: our feedback form
- Please include your full name and address, and the number of butterflies you sent.
The Long, Cold Winter Has Begun
While the butterflies enjoy the warmth of Mexico, all winter long we will save the envelope you provided for the
butterflies' return trip next spring. Remember, your own butterfly is now part of the Symbolic Monarch population.
Most likely, you will NOT receive your own butterfly back in the spring. Instead, you will receive a butterfly
that has been added to the population by another student. However, because your butterfly is carrying your address
on its wing, you can hope to hear where your own butterfly landed.
Buen Viaja Mariposas!
How to Respond to Challenge Question # 2
1. Address an e-mail message to: firstname.lastname@example.org
2. In the Subject Line of your message write: Challenge Question # 2
3. In the body of the message, answer the question above.
Please include the name of your school and your location so we can credit you properly for your answers.
The Next Monarch Migration Update Will be Posted When the Butterflies are in Mexico!