Average latitude for sightings increased to 43.52 this week from 42.12 last week, showing slow and steady migration even in the still-cold north. Here's better news: Nearly half of the 61 song reports we've received this year have come in the last two weeks. Robin song is on the rise!
- "Stepped outside on our first 60-degree day of the year and heard a robin SINGING!"
West Lawn, PA (March 12, 2014)
- "Many robins singing (territorial type) and calling before sunrise. Willmar, MN (March 23)
The calendar turned to spring—and sure enough, observers reported seeing spring behaviors!
- "I saw seven robins fly into a crabapple tree—first day of spring and my first robins of the year."
Minneapolis, MN (March 20, 2014)
- "The robin was weaving bits of string into her nest. She looked like she was about finished."
Bala Cynwyd, PA (March 20, 2014)
- "Two robins claiming the white pine in front. Lots of twigs on the ground under the tree today. Hope they are building a nest!"
Kirkwood, MO (March 17, 2014)