Journal Page | Observers' Comments | Sample Poem
Here are some of the 200 recent monarch butterfly sightings reports.
As a pre-writing warm-up, underline descriptive words and phrases from the observers' comments.
Then write a free verse poem.
- While working in the school prairie a female monarch coasted past looking for milkweed to lay her eggs.
- A faded Monarch drifted by. The winds were strong and it rode a wind current that carried it out over the meadow.
- Saw my first monarch flitting through my yard.
- I have swamp milkweed and regular milkweed starting to sprout and saw my first monarch today--hooray!
- This rainy morning it flew by 50 students here at the PWLC
- First Monarch seen this season! WAIT!! I want to tell them....the milkweed's NOT even poking up yet!
- I checked the milkweed and found eggs, lots of eggs. Have not seen a monarch yet in my garden.
- I saw my first monarch of the year while delivering mail on my mail route today.
- 4th graders saw a Monarch on the playground at recess today.
- We were walking down to the park and I saw a monarch butterfly sitting on a purple flower. Later, I saw another one feeding on a dandelion.
- Saw my first monarch flitting through the RV sites today! Was surprised that it wasn't interested in the milkweed up by the office that was preparing to bloom--it was more interested in the trees...
- Saw the Monarch in the field in my backyard.
- Found 68 eggs at 2 sites We saw our first Monarch in the afternoon on a cloudy day in the low 60's. Large and strong flyer - swooped over my head while I was in my flower bed.
- We were outside today planting our sunflower garden when we saw two Monarch butterflies flittering through our yard!
- One lone monarch butterfly glided and fluttered by me on the North Lookout, which is about 1,500 feet high.
- I spotted 3 beautiful monarchs, all in flight and as they fed on the nectar of dandelions on the edge of our prairie.
- Female monarch. Looking to lay eggs on the milkweeds.
include ($_SERVER[DOCUMENT_ROOT]."jnorth/www/includes/eg_nav_copyright_worksheets.inc"); ?>