- Yale Ferguson, "Chiefdoms to City-states: The Greek Experience," in Chiefdoms: Power, Economy, and Ideology, ed. Timothy Earle, 169-92 (Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 1991).
- Sarah M. Nelson, "Ideology, Power, and Gender: Emergent Complex Society in Northeastern China," in In Pursuit of Gender: Worldwide Archaeological Approaches, ed. Sarah M. Nelson and Myriam Rosen-Ayalon, 73-80 (Lanham, MD: Rowman and Littlefield, 2002).
- Robert Paynter, "The Archaeology of Equality and Inequality," Annual Review of Anthropology 18 (1989): 369-99.
- Thurstan Shaw, "Igbo-Ukwu," in Nigeria: Its Archaeology and Early History (London: Thames and Hudson, 1978): 98-121.
- Robin D. S. Yates, "Cosmos, Central Authority, and Communities in the Early Chinese Empire," in Empires: Perspectives from Archaeology and History, ed. Susan Alcock et al., 351-68 (Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 2001).
FEATURED SOURCE MATERIAL
- Jia Yi, Han Chinese historian
- Popol Vuh, Mayan Book of the People