UNIT 2: History and Memory
- Susan E. Alcock, "Archaeologies of Memory" in Archaeologies of the Greek Past: Landscape, Monuments, and Memories (Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 2002): 1-35.
- Michael D. Coe, Breaking the Maya Code (London: Thames and Hudson, 1992).
- David Lowenthal, "Distorted Mirrors," History Today 44, no.2 (Feb., 1994): 8-12.
- William D. Phillips, Jr. and Carla Rahn Phillips, The Worlds of Christopher Columbus (Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 1992).
- Mary Nooter Roberts and Allen F. Roberts, "Luba Art and the Making of History," African Arts 29, no. 1 (Winter 1996)
- Linda Schele and Mary Ellen Miller, Blood of Kings: Dynasty and Ritual in Maya Art (New York: George Braziller, 1986).
- Stephen J. Summerhill and John Alexander Williams, Sinking Columbus: Contested History, Cultural Politics, and Mythmaking during the Quincentenary (Gainesville: University of Florida Press, 1992).
FEATURED SOURCE MATERIAL
- Samuel Eliot Morison, historian
- Linda Schele, art historian and epigrapher
- Rigoberta Menchu, recipient of Nobel Peace Prize