UNIT 10: Connections Across Water
- Janet Abu-Lughod, Before European Hegemony: The World System A.D. 1250-1350 (New York: Oxford University Press, 1989).
- Applied History Research Group, "Merchants & Traders," from the University of Calgary, Old World Contacts multimedia tutorial, http://www.ucalgary.ca/applied_history/tutor/oldwrld (2000).
- David S. Brose, "Trade and Exchange in the Midwestern United States," in Prehistoric Exchange Systems in North America, ed. Timothy G. Baugh and Jonathon E. Ericson, (New York: Plenum Press, 1994).
- K. N. Chaudhuri, Asia before Europe: Economy and Civilisation of the Indian Ocean from the Rise of Islam to 1750 (New York: Cambridge University Press, 1990).
- Paul Johnstone and Sean McGrail, The Sea-Craft of Prehistory (Cambridge, MA: Harvard University Press, 1980).
- Lynda Shaffer, Native Americans before 1492: The Moundbuilding Centers of the Eastern Woodlands. Sources and Studies in World History (Armonk, NY: M.E. Sharpe, 1992).
- Kathy A. Svitil, "The Greenland Viking Mystery," Discover 18 (July 1997) 28.
FEATURED SOURCE MATERIAL
- Zheng He, Chinese navigator
- Ibn Fadlan, Arab chronicler