Before you start the Interactive Activity, read the following questions, and keep them in mind as you work:
- Can you describe the process you used to find the area of one of the triangles?
- Did you use a similar or different strategy to find the area of the other triangles? How was it similar or different?
- Can you describe a method that would work for all triangles?
After you've finished exploring the activity, consider these questions:
- Describe the process you used for finding the area of each figure. Can you describe a general rule that would work for finding the area of any dot-paper figure, regardless of its shape?
- Would your explanation be sufficient for someone else to solve the problems without referring to each individual case?
- What forms of communication did you use in the process of solving the problems and in sharing your thinking and understanding with others?
Summarizing these problems