Think about the Fish Derby problem, and answer one or two of the following questions:
- How does this problem call on both procedural tasks and conceptual understanding?
- Many teachers did not have experience with optimization problems in their own high school coursework. Did you? If not, did this problem help you understand the new content? Why or why not?
- Can you see connections and applications of this problem-solving approach? For instance, could you make a problem for which a graph of this kind would be helpful?
- Could you find an alternate strategy for solving this problem?
- Did you have difficulty understanding this problem? Do you anticipate that your students would have similar difficulties if you presented it? If so, at what points?
Watch a class tackle this problem