- Conditional Processing in a Bose-Einstein Condensate
- A Bose-Einstein condensate as a novel processor for quantum information.
- Coupling Laser
- Two lasers, a probe and a coupling laser, are used together, allowing a light pulse to be imprinted in the atoms of a condensate.
- Manipulating a Matter Wave
- A matter wave containing the information of a light pulse is manipulated, or processed, using condensates and a laser.
- Parent Photon Split into Two Daughter Photons
- A high energy parent photon is split into two lower energy daughter photons. These photons become entangled in energy, and are in a superposition state.
- Quantum-Mechanical Magic Trick
- A light pulse is extinguished in one part of space and then regenerated in a different location.
- Refractive Index
- Light is known to travel through the universe at a constant speed. But light can be slowed down, and is, everyday, in as simple a material as glass.
- Slowing Light
- Light slows down in a Bose-Einstein condensate.
- Storing Light as Matter
- Atoms that make up the condensate are storing the light as matter in a quantum superposition state. This opens up the door for quantum computation.
- Adding a Second Condensate
- The matter copy continues the journey.
- Candlestick Atomic Beam Source
- The atom source in the experimental setup is specially designed and is called the "candlestick atomic beam source."
- Communication with Apollo 11
- Flight controllers Charles Duke (Capcom), Jim Lovell (backup CDR), and Fred Haise (backup LMP) during lunar module descent.
- Dye Laser
- Adjustment of one of the dye lasers.
- Optical Setup
- A view of the optics table.
- Optical Time Domain Reflectometer (OTDR)
- An optical time domain reflectometer in use.
- Preparation for an Experimental Run
- Running the experimental setup requires a great focus.
- Quantum Computer With Two Qubit
- A two-bit quantum computer implemented with two beryllium ions trapped in a slit in an alumina substrate with gold electrodes.
- Saint Hans—Midsummer Celebration in Denmark
- Saint Hans bonfire—Midsummer celebration in Skagen, Denmark.
- Turning Light Into Matter
- Turning light into matter with the creation of a perfect matter copy of the extinguished light pulse.
top of page
- Atom Refrigerator Sketch
- Sketch of experimental setup used to created ultracold atoms.
- Bits and Binary Numbers
- Classical computers use bits that can be valued either 0 or 1.
- Carrying Around Light Pulses
- Turning light into matter in one Bose-Einstein condensate and then matter back into light in a second BEC in a different location.
- Coming Full Circle
- Was Newton right after all: "Are not gross Bodies and Light convertible into one another... ?"
- Evaporative Cooling
- Evaporative cooling into the ground state.
- Experimental Setup for Slow Light
- Experimental realization of slow light.
- Internal Energy Levels of a Sodium Atom
- Internal, quantized energy levels of the atom.
- Measurement of Ultra-Slow Light
- Measurement of ultra-slow light in a cold atom cloud.
- Qubits and Superposition
- Quantum computers use qubits.
- Race Between a Biker and a Light Pulse.
- The biker wins the race against the light pulse!
- Refractive Index and Transmission
- Refractive index variation with the frequency of a probe laser pulse.
© Annenberg Foundation 2016. All rights reserved. Legal Policy