Protest and Politics
1968, Year of the Barricades
Key Learning Targets
- Be able to use photographs as historical documents to understand historical events and social and cultural context.
- Identify some of the circumstances that led student protestors to demand changes in education and government structures in 1968.
- Examine photographs for evidence of similarities and differences between protest movements and government response in different countries.
- Be able to describe how both governments and protestors used media to influence public opinion.
- Understand the role of the news media in disseminating information and shaping public perception of contemporary events.
- Identify cause and effect relationships during the chronology of events of 1968.
Middle & High School
English Language Arts
- Student protests and worker strikes in France
- The “Prague Spring,” the Soviet invasion of Czechoslovakia, and anti-Soviet youth protest
- Student protest in Mexico
- Columbia University student protests