Place, Culture, and Representation
The Art and Politics of the Harlem Renaissance
Key Learning Targets
- Examine the factors that contributed to the Harlem Renaissance.
- Explore how the cultural production of this movement influenced artistic expression across a range of media.
- Investigate how white Americans perceived African Americans through African Americans’ artistic representations.
- Investigate the role that the arts (visual, literature, music) played during this time.
- Understand, through photographs, how people of African descent in this era sought to create a new identity for themselves, as well as establish links to their past.
- Understand how people of African descent used photography to explore and create a distinctly black identity.
Middle & High School
English Language Arts
The Harlem Renaissance