Place, Culture, and Representation
The Art and Politics of the Harlem Renaissance
- How did Harlemites define themselves through images (both illustrative and photographic), and how did those images contribute to the visual, cultural, and political identity of Harlem?
- What contexts and factors (political, cultural, economic) give rise to historical change?
- What contexts and factors contribute to the development of new cultural identities and affiliations?
- How can images and photography serve the formation of cultural, social, and geographic identities?
- How can artistic expression also function as a political statement or social critique?
- Are the arts—and photographs in particular—effective agents for social change and social critique?
Middle & High School
English Language Arts
The Harlem Renaissance