Immigration, Urbanization, and Identity
The Progressive Era City
Before viewing the photos and doing the activities, students should be able to:
- Understand the terms “immigration” and “urbanization.”
- Understand the concept of cultural identity, and be able to provide examples (e.g., through food, clothing, art, language, religion, cultural symbols, etc.).
- Understand the concept of child labor.
- Understand the concept of propaganda.
Middle & High School
English Language Arts
- The rapid urbanization caused by waves of immigrants coming from eastern and southern Europe, as well as from China, from the 1880s–1920s
- Child labor practices that were commonplace in mills, factories, and mines
- Immigrants struggling to maintain their cultural identity in the midst of creating a new home in the United States