Human Rights and the Struggle for Social Justice
Key Learning Targets
- Be able to explain the meaning of displacement, the contributing causes that have historically created displaced people, and the differences between the major categories of displaced people.
- Be able to provide examples of the different roles individuals, governments, and international entities play in advocating for and securing the rights of displaced persons.
- Be able to discuss the effects of displacement and the ways in which displaced persons create community in both new regions and temporary settings.
- Be able to identify, compare, and contrast visual themes and pictorial techniques in photographic media that function to direct or shape interpretation.
- Be able to explain how displaced people use media and new technology to navigate their ways around international borders.
- Forced displacement and refugees
- Social justice and the rights and needs of refugees
- The United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees