The content is in accordance with the Next Generation Science Standards (NGSS), specifically:
- Physical Sciences PS3: Energy
- Life Sciences LS1: Structures and Processes
- HS ETS1.B: Developing Possible Solutions
- HS ETS1.A: Defining and Delimiting an Engineering Problem.
Other sections that might be relevant are:
- MS ESS3.A: Natural Resources
- MS ESS3.C: Human Impacts on Earth Systems
- The crosscutting concept of Energy and matter: Flows, cycles, and conservation, from the 2012 Framework for K-12 Science Education from the National Research Council of the National Academy of Science (see References and Further Reading).